The Federation Council is the legislature of the United Federation of Planets. It is located on Earth, and held council in Paris, in the Palais de la Concorde. Seats on the Council are filled by representatives from the Federation Member Worlds. The Federation Council of Member Worlds, as the house is termed, was established by Article 3 of the Federation Charter.
The Federation Council of Member Worlds, henceforth referred to as merely the "Council" is a unicameral legislature, much like the Knesset of 21st Century Israel, or the Jobal of Denobula. The Council is composed of two councillors for each Federation Member World, and with 155 current members of the Federation, this means that the Council is comprised of 310 Councillors.
Once elected the Councillors must then choose from among their number a speaker, traditionally the person who has served the longest and with the greatest integrity and the best knowledge of Parliamentary procedure within the Council is selected to fill the role, meaning that this is usually held by a Councillor from Vulcan, who by and large serve a number of consecutive terms, are unimpeachably honest and have an intimate knowledge of parliamentary procedure.
Role in Presidential Elections
In order for a candidate to run in a Presidential Election, he must submit his name for consideration at least six months before the next election is due to be held, or in the case of an emergency election, within a week of the election being called. Once a candidate has submitted their name for consideration, the Council will review the submissions and will ensure that all are eligible for election, the Council will then submit the list to the Federation Election Commission, which will draw up the ballots for the election. The Council can only accept a submission which is seconded by a Federation Member World, usually the World of which the candidate is a citizen and only one secondment may be made by a Federation Member, this is to ensure that only serious applicants make a submission of candidacy.
Article 3 of the Federation Charter
Article Three of the Federation Charter established the Council of Member Worlds as the official legislative branch of the Federation and it is from this constitutional document that its rules, traditions and roles have been derived. The text of article three is below and for the full text, see here
- 1) The Legislative Functions of the United Federation of Planets shall be vested in a unicameral body to be known as the Federation Council of Member Worlds. Members of this chamber shall be known as Councillors.
- 2) The Federation Council of Member Worlds shall be composed of two Councillors, elected by proportional representation from each Member and shall then sit upon the Council for a six year term. There are no limits on how many terms a Councillor may sit in the Council of Member Worlds for.
- 3) The Members of the Council shall elect themselves a speaker, a member who is considered to be of exceptionally high moral authority and to be exceedingly familiar with the processes of the Council. This speaker shall be responsible for ensuring that the business of the Council is conducted in an orderly and respectful manner.
- 4) Any Federation Citizen may put his candidacy forwards to become a Councillor, provided that they are not currently serving a sentence of penal servitude and they may only stand for election on the Member World of which they are a citizen.
- 5) The Federation Council of Member Worlds, being the legislative body shall have the power to draft legislation which is deemed necessary to the smooth working of the state, provided that it does not breach the rights of citizen enumerated in this document.
- a) All Legislation passed by the Council of Member Worlds must be approved by the President of the United Federation of Planets. In the event the President utilises his veto of the Legislation, the Council may override it if two-thirds of the Council assent.
- b) The Federation Council of Member Worlds shall have the power to collect taxes from citizens for the running of the state
- c) The Federation Council shall have the responsibility for ensuring that the military arms of the United Federation of Planets have sufficient resources to protect her citizens and to seek out new life and new civilizations.
- d) The Federation Council shall have the responsibility to ensure that all trade is regulated and that trade practices are fair and free from monopolies.
- e) The rights of Federation Citizens shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it. In the event of the end of said rebellion or invasion these rights must immediately be restored. A 2/3rds majority of Councillors is required to revoke a citizen’s right and for each right being revoked a separate vote must be held.
- f) No money shall be drawn from the treasury, but in consequence of appropriations made by law; and a regular statement and account of receipts and expenditures of all public money shall be published from time to time.
- 6) Council Members shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanours. Officers of the Federation removed in this manner cannot be pardoned by the President of the United Federation of Planets and must suffer whatever punishment is impose by a jury of his peers, in a court of law, like any other Federation citizen.
- a) Council Members, the President, Vice-President or any Civil Officer may be impeached by the Council of Member Worlds, in the event a trial must then be held and an impeachment will only succeed if 2/3rds of Members assent. No person may be impeached for the same breach twice.